Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Works for Us: Homeschooling our Large Family Part 1

Summer is in full bloom here in the south- already hitting a wonderful, scorching 100 degrees in the middle of the day! My crew is loving the endless trips to the pool, beach, $1 movies, and I am not counting how much sugar they have consumed in ice cream and popsicles!

One of my favorite things to do in the summer (and I know I am not alone here!) is plan out our up and coming school year.  Books, curriculum, supplies, changes to our school room, cute storage solutions, I readily look forward to Target's dollar section being stocked with all things school. Then comes the actual opening of books, calendars, schedules, planning of days...weeks...months..and coffee. Lots of coffee.

I'm going to share what works for me through out all of this- this is our fourth year schooling at home and this year we will have four children in grade levels, and three tag-a-longs ( two preschoolers and a baby).  It wasn't until this past year that I have really felt good about what our days looked like and had a plan in place that really fit our family, it was wonderful to end the school year with confidence and no questions about starting the next.



Curriculum. 

The first thing I do is decide on what we will be using for each child the next year. Some things we change, some things we keep the same. I make a list (I'm a huge list advocate) with each child, each subject that child will be learning, what we need for that subject and the cost (if applicable). We order bits and pieces of what is needed throughout the summer. I love buying books brand new (so they last through out 7+ children who will be using them eventually) but there have been many things I buy used in great condition including readers and supplements. Some people buy all used, and that is ok! Remember this is just what works for our family. My picks for this year include:

Bible
We focus on our Awanas verses and studies as our "main program" and will be doing Kids of Integrity lessons, which we have started off using this summer already. We do our Bible and prayer time all together.

English/LA
Rodd and Staff English and Pathway Reading for my children who read fluently and All About Reading for the children who are still learning to read as a supplement to Five in a Row.

Math
Teaching Textbooks for my older children and Saxon Math for my younger ones as a supplement to Five in a Row

We are taking a Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling this year with our History & Science. Most of it will be done by reading books and journaling, we are using Five in a row which also includes some History and Science in it. I will not buy history or science curriculum.

History
We have Mystery of History from this previous year and will do bits and pieces of it here and there along with reading a lot of great books.

Science
Splurging and purchasing the year long science journaling books from Simply Charlotte Mason, as well as many of the recommended living books for Science and History.

Five in a Row 
This will be our first year using FIAR with our children, cannot wait! I'll be using before FIAR with my toddlers, and Volume 1 with the rest of my children. We will be supplementing with our Math and English programs for my older children as I feel they need a bit more than if offered/recommended in FIAR as is.

Readers
I have two fluent readers this year, so I have made a list of literature for them to read and journal about through out the year. Because our curriculum load this year is heavy on reading anyway, I am only adding on one book a month. Right now, we are reading aloud "The Borrowers" as a family.

Phew!
I plan on having a more laid back, classical approach to our school days this year so we may not get through everything. Some days we may not use our math textbooks, some days we may spend in the garden journaling and inside reading and making things. I'm leaving space and flexibility in our days for this to happen.
  


Do not let curriculum choices overwhelm you, there is so much out there, it is so easy to get bogged down and feel defeated with all of the options. My best advice is find a few friends who homeschool, and ask them if you can come over and look, touch, and feel through their curriculum choices. Hit up used curriculum sales and buy a few cheap things, take them home and go through them. See what you love, what you don't.  Don't stress, have fun with it, your kids will learn this year even if you didn't buy "the right" books!


No comments:

Post a Comment