Saturday, June 27, 2015

Piano + Chalk Paint

Every once in a while I get into a DIY mood and take on projects. This week was one of those weeks: I bought a piano and painted it coral! The brightest thing in my house, I'm definitly not a bright furniture person but I have to say I'm feeling love for the piano. 



I made my own chalk paint. Our lowes and Home Depot did not have the color I wanted in their chalk paint, and the store that sells Annie Sloan is an hour away. I chose "fan coral" by Benjamin Moore and I used this recipe: 

2 cups paint+ 2.5tbs plaster paris + 1.5tbs water 

Mix the water and plaster of Paris until smooth, mix in the paint and paint! 


This piano was dark and required three coats of paint before it was fully covered. I was not going for the distressed look, if I was, two coats may have been good. 

                    (After first coat)

Mine came out a little grainy, which I have read is very common. When it dries take a light sand paper and lightly go over the grainy areas and it will come out smooth. 

Next is wax. Any furniture wax will do! I used this: 


It came with a sponge, some don't. Any cloth or dry sponge will do! Give your furniture a nice coat and let dry! 


Once the wax is dry, you are done! Praise the Lord- because this took some time! 



A few tips:
-use painters tape to tape up around the keys 

-make sure your paint is 100% dry before lifting the cover to the keys. 

-stir your paint and plaster of paris very well. It is common for it to come out gritty. If this happens, a light sanding will smooth it out without removing paint. 

Enjoy! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment